Monday, May 4 - Tuesday, May 5, 2015
Sheraton Toronto Hotel and Conference Centre, 801 Dixon Road, Toronto, Ontario
A dynamic event to explore a pan-Canadian approach to engaging citizens as first responders to address violence and abuse against older adults. Learning will focus on using social norms and bystander interventions to bring about social change. Discover that the journey to creating a more peaceful and just society is challenging, rewarding and at its heart, deeply personal and ultimately possible.
- Dr. Alan Berkowitz: internationally renowned for his ground breaking work on social norms and bystander interventions will discuss research, skills and the role of social norms.
- Dr. Beatriz Berkowitz: a transpersonal psychologist will speak about the tension between the social norm to mind your own business and being true to your values.
- Alison Leaney MSW, RSW: a tireless advocate who brings her many years of experience across multiple sectors to serve as the National Trainer for the It’s Not Right! initiative.
- Dr. Peter Jaffe: internationally recognized for his expertise on interpersonal violence, will speak about emerging gaps and trends identified in cases of domestic homicide-suicide of couples aged 60+.
- Barb MacQuarrie: a recognized leader in the anti-violence movement will speak about the changing face of risk in the aging process.
A block of rooms is set aside at the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel and Conference Centre. Delegates are responsible for their accommodation which is $139.00 for a single room, if booked prior to April 6, 2015. Contact Sheraton Reservations, at 1-866-932-7058. Please state you are with “It’s Not Right!” – Elder Abuse.
For questions, contact Barb Potter at 519-661-2111 ext 87486 or by email